PCAL has partnered with the Louisiana Children’s Trust Fund on their “Look Before You Lock” campaign, urging parents to be mindful of their young children in the backseat to avoid heatstroke during these summer months. Here are some tips:
- Never leave your child alone in a car, not even for a minute
- Keep your car locked when you are not in it, so your child cannot get in by his/herself
- Create reminders by something in the back seat next to your child, like a briefcase, purse, cell phone or shoe
- Set a calendar reminder on your electronic device to make sure you dropped off your child at daycare; develop a plan so you will be alerted if your child is late or a no-show
- If you see a child alone in a car, call 911.
Other partners in LCTF’s campaign are the Louisiana Department of Children and Family Services, the Louisiana Department of Health, the Louisiana Department of Education, the American Academy of Pediatrics and the Audubon Nature Institute.